Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 18 - Today I am Grateful For.....

Some of you might know that I am an incredibly private person.....I know there is so much irony in this opening statement.....for God's sake I am blogging about gratitude and essentially taking my 'diary' public. Anyhow with that being said, for most of my adult years (39+) I have chosen to take the British side of my family to heart.....stiff upper lip and all.


Maybe that came from a long ago experience where I shared some very personal information with folks I thought were friends - and it turned out they weren't and the information reared it's ugly head in a way I had not anticipated. Has that ever happened to you? How did you react?


A couple of years ago I met a woman who I have become tremendous friends with and she helped me realize the time to build my network was when I didn't need it - and to build a network that doesn't look much like me. (For example while I am not a corporate type..... if I was and my entire network was made of people from the same company who did the same or similar things what would I do if I was given the pink slip.....where would I go to look for new opportunities - a pretty easy trap to fall into right)? She helped me understand that sharing vulnerability actually helps increase other people's ability to relate. These lessons are serving me well these days.

So today I am grateful for.....

  • The ability to recognize that vulnerability makes me stronger.

  • People continue to surprise me....remember post 12 where I talked about pragmatism? Earlier today I had coffee with a friend and shared a bit about where we are - and appreciated the wisdom she shared in the moment. Tonight when I got back from a walk with hubby and hound she had called to say that she and her husband had been chatting a bit about us and had some ideas to share.....the fact that this incredibly busy successful woman would have us as the topic of conversation at the end of her day and then would reach out to share ideas is amazing. And it got me to wondering when was the last time I spent time thinking about someone else's situation (this is fairly frequently) and called to tell them.....when was the last time you shared that with someone?

  • A good reminder that even after an initial offer is extended and initially refused.....it can still be accepted - thanks for the reminder.

  • The clarity that there are four layers of depth to the Olympic Mountains at sunset in the fall.

  • One of the best conversations with Pat about outlook and attitude - 15 years later I love to be awed by the thoughts you rarely share.

.....my wish for you and all you know is prosperity and the good fortune you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment