Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 12 - Today I am Grateful For.....

My favorite line from one of my favorite movies, Pretty Woman (remember I am a chick), is when Richard Gere says to Julia Roberts "it's just that uh people rarely surprise me." And she replies, "Yeah, well you're lucky. Most of 'em shock the hell out of me." (Thanks Laurie for reminding me it's the scene about flossing!)

For years I lived as a bit of a cynic, which is defined as someone who believes all people are motivated by selfishness, or a person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative. And in truth - it's not how I felt on the inside - but somehow in that time in my life it was 'en vogue'. The next phase was pragmatist which is a practical, matter of fact way of approaching or assessing situations or of solving problems. Which as I worked through that phase was still relatively colored with cynicism - but I felt like I was on a better path.

So where am I now? I have found my tribe. I know that pragmatism if executed correctly is actually practical optimism - and if I reflect on the Pretty Woman line where it is obvious she is setting the expectation that people will never live up to her expectation. I am reminded of something my good friend and coach Bill Pavelich said, "People will be exactly as you expect them to be."

What if we could condition ourselves to live every day exactly as we expected it to be, instead of dreading the pieces we didn't desire. How would our lives be different?

So, today I am grateful for.....

  • Homemade lasagna by my friend Darlin Gray....if I wasn't married.....I'd marry you just for the food...I really am a simple creature.
  • Lazy fall Saturdays.....boy I do love college football.
  • Family....because at the end of the day.....it's the most important thing we have .... remember family can include the one you've made for yourself.
  • The gentle wisdom of my mom who reminded me that not everyone has a filter on their 'care-o-meter" - my interpretation is that sometimes care can appear as turrets syndrome.....inappropriate exclamations of worry that come out as condemnation. Thank you mom for making sure I have a filter.
  • People who deal with great loss and stand proudly in the space that is who they were and are in the same breath.

.....my wish for you and all you know is prosperity and the good fortune you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment